The goal of the League of Women Voters of Seattle-King County Speakers Bureau is to provide accurate, fair and nonpartisan information to community groups.
Please submit a request for a speaker or moderator at least 30 days in advance.
Topics that we discuss:
- Ballot Issues - Every fall before the general election, volunteers criss-cross King County to speak about measures on the general election ballot. League Speakers highlight the pros and cons about the issues and talk about what a "yes" vote means and what a "no" vote means.
- The Importance of Voting - So many times it's been said, "My vote doesn't count." League speakers present clear and compelling cases on why it is important to participate in our democracy by voting.
- D.C. Voting Rights - More than half a million citizens living in Washington D.C. do not have full voting rights or full representation in Congress. Learn about the history of voter disenfranchisement in our nation's capitol and the progress of this ongoing fight.
We can also help to:
- Moderate a forum - Kudos to you if you are organizing a community forum or debate. A key part of the event should involve an experienced moderator. We can help.
- Moderate a council or co-op election - League members regularly help oversee elections for housing communities as impartial observers. Usually this involves ensuring a secret ballot, counting the votes and certifying the results at the end of the election.